Tuesday, June 12, 2012

MY UNIQUE TRYST WITH THE SKIES



It’s a fact that the very first time the roaring airplane takes you up into the air is always one of the most exciting moments to cherish and look forward to… I used to believe in my childhood that people sit above the airplane by holding both its wings just like we may imagine ourselves to be sitting on a big bird (not a not-so-creative imagination at that age by seeing numerous airplanes from the roof of my maternal grandparents’ house!!!) and this misconception was cleared when I visited Bhubaneswar airport (probably that hadn’t been named Biju Pattnaik Airport then) for the first time in UKG and I revisited the same place again only last year… On 10th June, 2012, I had that much awaited moment in my life… I had to board the Air India Flight AI 729 from Kolkata to Guwahati, where I was going to have my Summer Internship…
Getting into a much bigger Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport with so many uniformly well-decorated ladies at the counters and a rush at every place amazed me out of my wits… After the Security Check and everything, I just moved to the Waiting Area near Gate 4 and had a really funny accident (well, can’t describe it here) and at the boarading time of 09:05 A.M., the gates opened and we before I could realize, we had entered the airplane… Wow!!! Unlike what I had seen at Biju Pattnaik Airport, where you climb a ladder to get into the plane… I had got Seat 1D and I guess very few people would have sat in the first row on their first flight… But, this was not a window seat!!! Oh no… Does that mean that I can’t view everything below me on my first ever flight??? I eagerly waited for the person at the Window Seat to arrive so that I could exchange pleadingly and to my very good luck, no one ever came there… And unlike elsewhere, the air-hostesses were in sarees!!! I thankfully and excitedly popped onto the seat, instructions were explained in a Dumb Charades style by the air-hostess and at the scheduled time 09:35 A.M., the airplane was pulled back by a vehicle much much smaller than its volume… Then, it moved forward this way, changed direction and again repeated all its previous movements…
And, the most surprisingly, it stood still with its engine on and after sometime, the engine stopped… What had happened??? We were told that due to some accident landing, the Runway at the Guwahati Airport had been blocked and we can’t move unless it is cleared… To keep off the people from shouting, we were served the breakfasts (two biscuits, one cup-cake and a half- size sandwich along with thankfully unlimited mini-bottles) though it was a cruel injustice to a growling hunger… Then, I did that think which I can guarantee no non-child had ever done or would ever do… I had a nap of around twenty minutes on my first ever journey in air even before the airplane had taken off!!! I got up to find the plane still there and the many small non-school going kids wailing out louder and louder… After again a long time, which I used up to read Safety Precautions and the Air India magazine, the reality came to us… No accident had taken place and the plane was waiting for two particular passengers and for this the whole plane had been delayed for more than two complete hours!!! It happens only in India…….
Finally, the Airplane took up and up and up… And my heart was elated like never before… Everything became smaller and smaller- the Airport, the nearby residential areas whose planning we can easily make out, the river which now appeared like a canal, the many forests and everything… I was feeling like zooming out on Google Earth… Simply fantabulous!!! Then, I marked some shining pieces almost on every house, which I infer to be window panes… Had never imagined they would ever look this way… Then, we had risen so up that the angle that things subtended on our eyes had began to change so slowly that I felt as if the plane is hovering at one place except some very less frequent horizontal vibrations… The whole River Hoogly slightly changed its position with time and the whole time, my eyes were stuck on the window glass on the seat I had luckily earned… After a long time of such a constant view, we entered the clouds!!! Amidst the clouds, the view was exactly like the “Swarg” in mythological serials, where the ornamented Devatas walk with their feet in cloudy smoke and the sky is perfect blue… Then, the plane turned with my-side wing rising up and the clouds coming down… can’t just describe that…
Then, came the majestic Bangladesh with almost all regions covered by forests or large fields and very less houses… Finally, we entered Assam, where we can see that all the houses have sloping roofs and gradually we were zooming in on Google Earth… The runway area came larger and suddenly the wheels of the plane touched ground at a very high speed… We zeroed in on Lokapriya Gopinath Badail International Airport, Guwahati…
Guwahati is a love at first sight… Large houses with sloping roofs and ample area covered with vegetation and water passed me in the taxi… Assam is real fun with words like “Senj” (Change), “Sha” (Tea) and “Sowmin” (Chowmin) and phrases like “Huno Hunao Life Banao” (you can guess that), where “Sha” pronunciation is replaced by “Ha” and “Cha” by “Sha”… People understand more Odia here than Hindi… I am loving it here and you must visit the North-East, if you want the real pleasure of sight-seeing and hospitality!!!
Bye Bye for now!!!
Enjoy yourselves!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment